Fishwrap Archive

The (Shreveport, La.) Times
Published: February 23, 1987

First-timer Terrio
runs step by step

Times Correspondent

Shreveport resident David Terrio, a 35-year-old safety product specialist for Briggs-Weaver, considered running a marathon just a logical step to take once he began running five years ago.

He didn't, however, seriously consider running one until last year, and he didn't begin training until the end of December.

"A friend gave me an article from a running magazine on how to train for a marathon in two months," Terrio said. "While I didn't follow it perfectly I did follow it pretty close."

Sunday morning, in his first attempt at running a marathon, he was to find out if the training program would pay off.

Before the marathon began, he looked ready to take on the course. He didn't appear apprehensive, but like his fellow runners, he did worry about the weather.

"I'm ready to go, I feel good," Terrio said before the race. "I just hope the weather holds out."

After two miles, Terrio wasn't quite warmed ed up yet. His only worry was the stiff breeze that plagued the runners most of the day.

Terrio felt fully warmed up after six miles "There's only 20 more to go," he said.

As he passed by the 10-mile marker on Viking Drive, he felt fine.

"Nothing hurts yet," Terrio said. "That's pretty good. I'm doing better than I thought I would be with this wind."

He spent his time trying to keep his mind clear, primarily concentrating on maintaining his pace.

"I'm beginning to feel like I've been running awhile, especially in my feet and ankles," Terrio said as he approached 14 miles. "If I can keep up my pace, I think I'll be all right.

"I try to not think of too many boring things. The monotony is the worst part of running a marathon."

He listened to a radio tuned to an easy listening station to help break up the boredom.

After 18 miles, Terrio began to feel tighter, especially in his lower legs. What did he think of the next eight miles?

"Boooooring," he said. "Once I get past 20 miles, though, it'll be just like running a 10 K."

Boredom wasn't the only problem he faced on the course.

"Loneliness is somewhat of a problem out here," he said. "But as long as I see someone in front of me, it's all right."

Terrio was walking as he approached the 21-mile aid station. He was obviously having a problem with something.

"Cramps from too much juice," he explained. "I had to slow down and stretch it out a little.

"I've gone this far, though. I'm going to finish, even if I have to walk the rest of the way. I have to get back to Louisiana Downs anyhow."

His car was parked there.

He began running again shortly after he passed the station. At 25 miles, he felt better. He knew he was going to finish.

The crowd clapped as Terrio came down the stretch. He crossed the finish line at 4:24:15, the 155th runner to finish.

At this point he had just two things on his mind.

"I just want to get into some dry clothes and get something good to eat," Terrio said.

He walked into Louisiana Downs, and promptly headed for the food counter.